What is Say-MAGic?
Say-MAGic is a computing solution intended to provide access for individuals with low vision and learning challenges who wish to benefit from the advantages of speech input technology and display management technology.
Say-MAGic brings together Dragon NaturallySpeaking Professional version 10 from Nuance Communications and version 11 of the MAGic screen-reader/magnifier from Freedom Scientific. While the product integrates these two applications, it also presents the user with an easy to understand interface enabling interaction with the computer using natural language and easy to remember and understand vocabulary.
Say-MAGic contains innovative and ground-breaking technology used for the very first time to give computer users who need the contents of the screen to be magnified, accompanied by supportive synthetic speech output, while being able to control the computer by voice simultaneously.
With Say-MAGic, you can:
- Control all aspects of MAGic's magnification and speech output Control Panel by voice. To move directly to the Control Panel say "MAGic Control Panel" or to adjust color enhancements say "MAGic Colour Enhancements."
- Instantly set the magnification preference to any of MAGic's magnification levels from 1.1 to 1.9 X and from 2 to 36 X by saying "Level" followed by the number. If you change your mind and wish to return to the previous magnification level, simply say "Previous Level."
- Store "Favourite" magnification levels for specific situations and recall them instantly with a voice command.
- Select any of the MAGic views (such as "Split," "Lens" or "Full") by speaking its name or control any aspect of MAGic's interface for making visual adjustments, such as to change color preferences or mouse and color enhancements.
- Hear each phrase echoed as you dictate or each sentence as it is completed. In addition words can be "spelled" by the synthetic speech output to provide additional support for individuals for whom "decoding" written text is challenging.
- Create Email messages quickly and easily from within any application using Say-MAGic Email Contacts.
- Select or highlight text easily using the Say-MAGic special selection facility.
- Recall regularly used phrases to save re-dictating with Say-MAGic Text Notes.
- Create voice commands to instantly recall documents, Windows folders and web pages.
- Hear all text units (such as the current, next or previous character, word, line, sentence or paragraph) announced when requested or ask Say-MAGic to read the entire document. In many cases, Say-MAGic will highlight each word on the screen when it is spoken.
Say-MAGic provides special support for Microsoft Word (2003/2007), Microsoft Outlook (2003-2007) and Microsoft Internet Explorer. Say-MAGic takes some of the very best features from our J-Say product (linking Freedom Scientific's JAWS for Windows together with Nuance Communications Dragon NaturallySpeaking) and presents them in a unique visual and auditory paradigm.
You can learn more by listening to this audio presentation of Say-MAGic.
The retail price for Say-MAGic will be $427.50 US and will be distributed in North America by Next Generation Technologies, Inc., Lynnwood, Washington.
Further Information about Say-MAGic
Assuming a level of installation and training is purchased, Say-MAGic can be easily configured to allow a physically disabled and visually impaired person to independently carry out tasks such as dialing telephone numbers, through to using software-based DVD and DAISY talking book players. J-Say Pro can also be customized to perform optimally with non-standard applications used in the workplace.
It is important that the computer on which Say-MAGic and associated products are to be installed conforms to the following minimum specification:
- Pentium 4, Pentium M, or Pentium D processor
- 2GB of RAM.
- Full duplex multi-channel sound card or compatible USB Digital Sound Converter.
- All releases of Microsoft Windows XP or Microsoft Windows Vista (32 bit).
- Microsoft Office 2003 or Microsoft Office 2007.
Prior to obtaining Say-MAGic the user must have purchased and installed the MAGic 11, Build 1126 display management software. The Say-MAGic product is then tied to the serial number of the MAGic software. We provide the MAGic 11.0.1126 installer on our website. In addition, version 10 of Dragon NaturallySpeaking Professional edition must be purchased separately and installed.
The Say-MAGic Package
Within the Say-MAGic package you will receive:
- The Say-MAGic CD ROM, which when inserted presents the user with an "Install Shield" making the interface simple and intuitive to install.
- The Say-MAGic User Guide in Print.
- A documentation CD ROM containing the Say-MAGic User Guide in Microsoft Word format.
About the Say-MAGic User Guide
The Say-MAGic User Guide comprises three Books. The first Book consists of the "Installation Guide," which gives you step by step detail on how to install your Say-MAGic product. It goes onto describe the voice training enrollment process and how to configure the Windows operating system, associated applications and the Say-MAGic software to perform optimally. Finally, the "Installation Guide" discusses the hardware and software which should be used to ensure you can get the most from the Say-MAGic interface, all using non-technical language where possible and delivered from the perspective of visually impaired people wishing to install the product.
The second volume consists of a Say-MAGic tutorial or "Learning Module." The tutorial teaches you how to use say-MAGic with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Internet Explorer, together with describing how you can work with non-supported applications and how you can educate the software to learn how you pronounce words and phrases. Again, the language used is not technical, delivered using step-by-step instructions. The Say-MAGic tutorial contains over 200 sections so you can easily find what you are looking for or you can work through it systematically.
Subscribing to the Say-MAGic Discussion List
An e-mail list has been established to discuss all aspects of the Say-MAGic product. In particular, it can be used as a vehicle for product suggestions or for gaining assistance from other Say-MAGic users. This link will subscribe you to the list. It will launch an empty e-mail message with the word "Subscribe" in the subject line. Just send the message to join the list.
Page Last Updated: Friday, June 18, 2010
Copyright 1999- 2010 Next Generation Technologies Incorporated